Board & Governance
The Board of Directors is elected by the general membership at the annual meeting and Board is responsible for electing its own executive.
The role of the Board of Directors is to establish and govern policies that provide direction to the Executive Director of the Society, who is then responsible for implementation. In most cases, the Board of Directors makes decisions as a whole. In some instances, a few Directors will form a committee to perform a specific function or address a specific issue and make recommendations to the full Board. The Board’s role and function is defined by the Constitution and By-Laws of the Society which are approved by the general membership of the Society.
The following are the most commonly agreed upon roles for the Board of Directors as an entity:
- To establish and maintain the legal and corporate existence of the Society
- To be accountable for the assets of the Society and the actions undertaken by it.
- To take responsibility for formulating goals, objectives, policies and guidelines for programs both in the long and short-terms and establish proprieties.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of actions taken and the appropriateness of the planning process as they relate to the needs of the individuals being served
- To provide continuity of experienced leadership so that major staff changes will not weaken the Society and to employ the Executive Director with whom the Board shares leadership.
- To set policies for the Executive Director to implement and achieve and to allow the Executive Director to make day to day decisions without interference.
- To work as a team with the Executive Director to accomplish the Society’s objectives.
The Kootenay Society for Community Living (KSCL) is a non-profit society registered under the provincial Society Act. The business operations of KSCL is guided by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Society, actions requiring membership approval, various government laws and regulations, union contracts, and other third party contracts.
The Board of Directors of the Society (the “Board”) has adopted these Governance Guidelines (the “Guidelines”) to assist the Board in the exercise of its responsibilities. The Board may modify or make exceptions to the Guidelines from time to time in its discretion and consistent with the duties and responsibilities owed to the Society and its Stakeholders.
KSCL current Board Members for 2018 to 2019:
- Tim Smeltzer – President
- Michael Balahura – Vice-President
- Daun Bate- Secretary
- Lorne Myhra- Treasurer
- Darlene Kilback – Director
- Kristin Lockhart – Director
- Julie Cole – Director
- Denise Lebidoff – Director
- Elizabeth Huether – Director
- Marissa Metcalfe – Self Advocate